Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks


I must thank Rebecca Skloot for taking on this project and her determination to publish Henrietta Lacks's story. I wish to thank Henrietta Lacks as well and I hope this book will be read by billions of readers so that they too know Henreitta Lacks and her incredible story. This book shocked me.  I was speechless and I was deeply moved.  I think Rebecca Skloot delivers this story in an extremely respectful manner and had to deal with extremely personal issues.  This book will open your eyes to the medical profession, to medical revolutions, and a multimillion-dollar industry. This book will takes the reader into the thorny issue of scientific ethics, it will reveal crippling poverty, racism and will break your heart.

This is Rebecca Skoot's first book, and the praise for this book is well deserved.

Winner of the 2010 Chicago Tribune Heartland Prize for Nonfiction
New York Times Notable Book
O, The Oprah Magazine Best Book of the Year
Entertainment Weekly Best Book of the Year
Discover magazine 2010 Must-Read
Globe and Mail Best Book of the Year
Times (U.K.) Best Book of the Year
and the list goes on and on...

This is one of the most moving non-fiction books I've read, I couldn't put it down.  Further high praise of this book can be found at http://www.amazon.ca/Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052181/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309651571&sr=8-1.

No comments:

Post a Comment